Toning

Post any topics or questions about Chinese Stamps here.

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

Wilbur Yu

Toning

Post by Wilbur Yu »

My sc628 has some toning around the gum. Is this a serious issue? How much does it affect the value? Thanks!
Attachments
s-l1600 (10).jpg
s-l1600 (10).jpg (356.04 KiB) Viewed 3741 times

dzhuo

Re: Toning

Post by dzhuo »

Do you have a back scan? Does the sheet have a certificate? I have seen pretty incredible forgery.

Wilbur Yu

Post by Wilbur Yu »

Hi dzhuo. It doesn't come with a certificate. Please see the back scan. What do you think about it? Thanks!
Attachments
s-l1600 (11).jpg
s-l1600 (11).jpg (214.63 KiB) Viewed 3732 times

archiem

Post by archiem »

Toning, like any "defect," has a variable cost. But any blank statement about that cost is subject to a wide variation.

Some collectors will only acquire pristine material, especially investors, and any defect is reason to ignore that item. No matter the cost. Other collectors, usually in the beginning mode are more tolerant of defects and do not spend much time looking at pulled perfs, slight toning, or excessive inking. Like much of philately, there is a wide range of preferences that philately tolerates. One of the joys of the hobby in my opinion.

I would add that most PRC Liberation Area collectors are more tolerant of what would be called defects in other areas due to the extreme conditions these stamps were made and used. Other areas, like to above Mei Lan Fang sheet is usually discounted for any perceived defect, no matter how slight.

Looking at catalogue realizations will assist one with determining what to pay and what to avoid.

Usually a certificate will (Or should I say should?) list any and all defects, but a value statement is seldom given. Just remember that a defect may appear after a certificate is issued. Rough handling, storage conditions and many other factors may affect any paper product.

But it is your collection, and you should collect how and in whatever manner suits you.

Wilbur Yu

Post by Wilbur Yu »

Hi archiem. Thanks for your reply! The reason I was asking is because I spent alot of money for it and I just wanted to make sure I was getting a fair deal. However, after being examined by a local stamp dealer, he believed it was a fake one. I returned it to the eBay seller who has more than 1000 positive feedbacks and got my money back. It was a huge lesson for me!

archiem

Post by archiem »

It might be interesting to hear what the dealer said was fake. Usually fake material does not come with faults like toning.

But eBay is certainly a problem area for most collectors. I am happy that this dealer refunded your money.

You must be blessed with good luck right now considering your other post. I think I would go buy a lottery ticket, and I don't gamble.

Best wishes to you for continued happy occurrences.

Roman

Post by Roman »

Don't think so is a fake. Most local stamp dealers are not qualified to make any statement about authenticity of an item.

Wilbur Yu

Post by Wilbur Yu »

Hi archim and Roman,

According to the dealer, one of the many characteristics is that the white paper should be shining under LED light, but the one above doesn't. I recently bought a CTO one, and I notice the same characteristic. See my attached.
IMG_7740.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG (764.54 KiB) Viewed 3485 times

I used the same technique to spot a semi-fake/repaired scott #628 from a Taobao seller, 泓润收藏 .
1). The centerpiece seems legit after comparing with my CTO under 100x magnifier.
2). Then I put it under my LED light. The centerpiece's white paper is shinning, but the margin's is NOT!! I look closer at the perforations. The centerpiece is carefully glued to a new margin and re-gummed.

Who would have thought of that?! I didn't. It saved me alot of my hard-earned money!!
T2xZEHXMdXXXXXXXXX_!!353193823.jpg
T2xZEHXMdXXXXXXXXX_!!353193823.jpg (239.9 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
IMG_8000.png
IMG_8000.png (247.61 KiB) Viewed 3484 times