Just Got Chinese Stamps from late 1800's - Mid 1900's Question Rare Overprint Air Post stamps

Post any topics or questions about Chinese Stamps here.

Moderators: archiem, doc032848, wlin98004

KsCannons

Just Got Chinese Stamps from late 1800's - Mid 1900's Question Rare Overprint Air Post stamps

Post by KsCannons »

Hello everyone
I had purchased these stamps and others from a estate sale :D Normally i don't buy stuff from those place's i mainly stick with Thrift stores :lol: but this one was in Kansas City Kansas and the area was old and i had collected stamps as a kid but after a bad year of humidity all my stamps stuck to the album pages well this was the 70's and the albums were unlike today they were paper Minkus & scott.My Grandad was a post master in NH and when he passed i got his collection which was really nice.Full sheets of stamps from 1910 to the 60's.Needless to say they were ruined !!

Well back to these stamps i was looking up the world stamps and i couldn't believe some of the prices of the Chinese & Japanese stamps & my question is are the ones i got good i seen the Chinese Republic 1949 Set Stamps Silver Yuan Issues.Both with the #C42, 1946 $73.00 on 25c Orange Air Post, And on a website it says it sold for $900.But that's hard to believe because i got 1 and my luck isn't that good.

But what i'm asking is if they are worth so much what is the proper channel to sell them i collect coins and PCGS grading is the way to go so is there a stamp grading company that is reasonably priced and i'm sure its worth while to pay money to have them authenticated.

But is their a market for them i bought 6 albums and some of the German ones are early and most are mint but hinged and some have stuck to the pages's also ;-( :o

Also would facebook be a good outlet for selling them or if you know of a good website i would greatly appreciate any help.Or are these just stamps to put away for my Son or grand son when he has kids

I thank you in advance Austin

Also I'm going to post this in the Information area here if that's Okay

O Ya i used to make Scale Cannons & that's why my User ID is KS Cannons
Attachments
Nikon 129.jpg
Nikon 129.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 128.jpg
Nikon 128.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 127.jpg
Nikon 127.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 126.jpg
Nikon 126.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 125.jpg
Nikon 125.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 124.jpg
Nikon 124.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 123.jpg
Nikon 123.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 122.jpg
Nikon 122.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 121.jpg
Nikon 121.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 120.jpg
Nikon 120.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 119.jpg
Nikon 119.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1512 times
Nikon 118.jpg
Nikon 118.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1512 times

KsCannons

Re: Just Got Chinese Stamps from late 1800's - Mid 1900's Question Rare Overprint Air Post stamps

Post by KsCannons »

Hi More Pictures Thanks for looking

archiem

Re: Just Got Chinese Stamps from late 1800's - Mid 1900's Question Rare Overprint Air Post stamps

Post by archiem »

Welcome to the CSS Forum Austin.

Congratulations on the purchases and gifts. Yes, Chinese stamps have appreciated quite nicely in the recent period. China's rise out of a Third World economy to the second largest today, coupled with an incredible rise in the average citizen's income has led to many changes.

I will not comment on current stamp values as condition is king and determines much.

You asked about selling. That also has changed dramatically with the rise of the Internet. Every marketplace online sells stamps these days it seems, but when buying forgeries and bogus material is a definite problem. As they say, buyer beware!

Might I suggest you take a look at the CSS stamp offerings? Our president and auction chair does a good job of listing stamps for sale, and more expensive stamps are offered at auction: www.chinastampsociety.org/stamp-and-cover-sales.

The problem you face has faced many of us over the years. You buy a nice collection only to find much is stuck to the album page. I have never found a solution, other than accepting the condition and trying to sell them as is. If someone has a solution, I hope they will post it.

Welcome to the CSS Forum, hope you participate and come back often.

dzhuo

Post by dzhuo »

KsCannons wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 am
Well back to these stamps i was looking up the world stamps and i couldn't believe some of the prices of the Chinese & Japanese stamps & my question is are the ones i got good i seen the Chinese Republic 1949 Set Stamps Silver Yuan Issues.Both with the #C42, 1946 $73.00 on 25c Orange Air Post, And on a website it says it sold for $900.But that's hard to believe because i got 1 and my luck isn't that good.
The $73 on 25c airpost was surcharge to the following 3 stamps:
  1. Umwatermarked Perf 14
  2. Watermarked Perf 13
  3. Unwatermarked Perf 13
The unwatermarked perf 14 is extremely rare with a catelog value of probably exceeding $2000+. The other 2 are extremely common probably both with a catelog value of $0.25 each.

Since 99% of this surchage is either #2 or #3, I am guessing yours is probably one of those as well. If you do believe your stamp is #1, you should probably get a certificate as forgeries are abound.